Friday, November 5, 2010

A Connected Yelp!

So, with the Institute of General Semantics-sponsored New Languages, New Relations, New Realities Symposium at Fordham University all over and done with, I think I can get back to a bit more blogging, sorry for the lapses and absences and all.  

And it was certainly a pleasure to have with Tiffany Shlain, the daughter of the late Leonard Shlain (see my previous post, A Brain to Remember, Rest in Peace Leonard Shlain) with us at the symposium.  Leonard Shlain was a past Alfred Korzybski Memorial Lecturer, a featured speaker at three Media Ecology Association meetings, and an outstanding media ecologist in his own right.  And Tiffany shared with us a rough cut of the new film she's working on called Connected:  A Declaration of Interdependence.  The film goes into Leonard Shlain's life and scholarship in very interesting ways, which I very much appreciated.  Of course, the theme and topic is more broadly about the patterns of interconnection common to biology, ecology, and technology, as can be seen from the trailer:


And on a related note, here's Tiffany Shlain's short film, Yelp (With Apologies to Allen Ginsberg) narrated by Peter Coyote:


I have a feeling Ginsberg would get a real kick out of this.  I know I do, although I admit as well to the irony of blogging about a YouTube video that admonishes us to unplug!  Well, I guess I'll go take Tiffany's advice and do that, so, see ya later!


3 comments:

jerry d. said...

Good to see you posting the past into the present lance. I have a page here also if you chose to read it.
http//jerryddesbrow@blogger.com/home

ian said...

Hi there, I was just passing by and i got this story nice, I enjoyed reading it.

Lance Strate said...

Thanks Ian, and Jerry, I will definitely check it out!